General Induction Training
Manual handling refers to any activity where a person exerts a force to lift, lower, push, pull, carry, or otherwise move, hold or restrain an object. Most tasks on a job site involves some form of manual handling.
Using incorrect techniques can lead to injury.
Actions you can take to reduce risks associated with manual handling include:
- Minimise the lifting and lowering forces you exert
- Avoid the need for bending, twisting and reaching movements
- Reduce pushing, pulling, carrying and holding
- Reduce repetitive and sustained movements
- Wherever possible mechanical aids should be used to minimise any manual handling
- Divide the load
- Seek assistance where the item is to heavy and no mechanical aids suitable